Wednesday, April 2, 2014

This started as a quick Facebook status but I realized it was too long!

I want to share something from my day today.  If you read our February newsletter, you may have seen that in late January, we woke up in the middle of the night to a phone call on our Vonage phone letting us know that we were given an anonymous gift for a swimming pool!  The only stipulation is that we must use it not only for us but for many fellowship opportunities.   We are shocked AND VERY THANKFUL.   Well the pool should be finished on Friday.  That is not what I want to share but needed to so that you would understand my interaction today.   (Sidenote: We still CAN'T believe this is even happening!)

I am not always able to go into Mozambique with Mark for trainings and since we moved here I have asked the Lord help me keep my eyes open so I can see and build relationships with the people I come in contact with in my day to day happenings in Polokwane.  I try to always park with the same car guard at one of the malls (he knows why we are here and always asks about Mozambique).  Meriam has worked at our house for four years and Jankie worked for us for over two years.  The Lord has given us many opportunities to share Christ and has even allowed us to have the Bible study with their family each week in Mentz.  These are just a few. 

Well with any project, brings a crew of people.  I have made a point to greet the guys each day (they rotate the crew and it is not always the same people).  I try to learn names.  Some are easier than others.  I usually have to give them a nickname (I don't share it with them) like Tall Man Pete - who is the tallest one.  Old Man Willard etc.  Simba has been here for a week working on the paving and then another guy, Brighton, came today to load dirt that needed to be taken away. 

Simba asked me this afternoon if he could have this pole he found somewhere in our yard.  I had never seen it before and figured they dug it up at some point.  It was dirty and looked like trash.  I told him I didn't know where it came from, it wasn't ours and I didn't care if he kept it.  A few hours later, the guys were all getting ready to go home and I was walking to the back to thank them for their hard work and tell them bye.  I noticed Simba washing the rod and it looked brand new except for a small curve.  I stopped and asked him what he was going to do with it.  He then told me it was for church.  I asked for what.  He was struggling to find an English word to describe it to me and Brighton was next to him.  They chatted in their language and then Brighton said you know "like that thing Moses used."  I said a staff.  They proceeded to tell me, "Yes, his church would pray over this rod and it would get power."  I just flat out told him that stick will never give him power, ONLY Jesus Christ!  He repeated they will pray and it will have power.  I told him they could pray all they want but it will never have power.  They asked why Moses' stick had power.  I explained to them that God chose to give Moses that to show the people the power that God has.  Then I went back to creation and started in Genesis Chapter one and went through Genesis three.  Time was short and I felt like I needed to share that with them.  Basically God had me share what I am teaching on in Mentz tomorrow. 

I asked them if they had Bibles, they said yes.  Brighton said he had a small one he was given in school (Gideon's Bible).  He made a point to tell me he still had that.  Brighton spoke up and said he had a question.  He said he read in Genesis that Adam and Eve were the first people and then they had two sons.  One brother killed the other one and then fled and married.  His question was, "Where did his wife come from?"  WHAT - where is Mark?!!?!?!?  Should this be a conversation Mark should have with them.  I was thinking, what, I am not good with words or explaining things, my mind was spinning.   Sharyn showed up about that time and it was time for them to leave.  I don't even remember everything I said but he told me he wants an answer tomorrow!  I told him I would study tonight.   Then before they walked out of the backyard, Simba asked me if I was a Pastor.  I told him no.  I also told him that I don't believe women should be Pastors.  Well, that brought more questions ... where does it say that.  I told them to read 2 Timothy and then I said maybe it is in 1 Timothy so read both!  :)

About an hour later Mark sent me a message from Mozambique  (I love that he has sporadic service and we can chat while he is gone!).  I was at Builders Warehouse and found a place to sit and type quickly. Excuse the typos I did not reread what I wrote (maybe like this post - it is after midnight here) but you get the point ...



 That was supposed to say, "I explained best I could but now I will give you guys (Mark and Brad) a topic to discuss for dinner time."


 I share all of this ONLY because I wanted to share an opportunity God put before me.  These guys may never hear anything different than what they are being taught and if it is that they can pray and a stick will get power than I can not sit there and smile and walk away.  God is continuing to show me HE is at work ALL around me.  I don't always have to "GO" somewhere, He even brings them to me (my own backyard).  He wants HIS name proclaimed and HIS TRUTH told.  Pray for me that I will be able to communicate clearly and that The Lord will give them ears to hear and eyes to see the TRUTH.  I will have my Bible by my back door tomorrow! 

No comments: