Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Phone Call We NEVER Expected!

In the middle of the night in January, I woke up to our Vonage (American Phone) ringing.  It is usually a sales call or political call and we always hope that it is not family calling with bad news.  I stumbled out of bed, grabbed the phone and crawled back in bed as I said, "hello."  I knew the voice and they were apologizing that it was so late but they needed to let us know something.  I continued to listen and this person said .... in the morning we would receive an email letting us know that we were given money for a swimming pool.  I remember literally pinching my arm.  Mark was still asleep and I started asking questions like, "are you sure" over and over.  They said that the money was only to be used for a pool and there were two stipulations.  One the gift was anonymous and two the pool had to be used not only for our family to be a place for others to come enjoy and fellowship.  As I continued to talk and say things like "thank you" and "I am shocked" Mark began to wake up.  The call ended and I told him we were just given a pool.  We just laid there speechless for an hour or so.  When we woke up in the morning, we checked our email and there was the notification.  
 It wasn't a dream!  

Well, here we are at the end of April and the pool has been completed for almost a month.  It has been a process to say the least.  Workers arrived the last part of January and began to dig it by hand!  Yup, they dug this whole thing by hand.  We were able to have the mission's 7 ton truck in our driveway for a month and it was loaded with dirt 12 times. The dirt was taken to the Mission Farm, and two other friends’ plots so they could all use it around their land.  Days were busy with nonstop people in and out from around 8am til 4:30pm.  We had many opportunities to talk to the workers and even had some opportunities to talk about our Faith in Jesus Christ.  One afternoon, when Mark was in Mozambique, one of the workers found a rod and asked if he could have it.  I told him sure and later I asked what he was going to do with that.  He shared that he was going to take it to church so they could pray over it and it would have power like Moses’ staff.  I began to tell him that the rod would never have power .... 
You can read the whole story here.  

The last few months and even now - we CAN'T believe that the Lord would provide a WANT like this for us.  Of course, we would have loved to have a pool and talked about it amongst ourselves and a few friends here, especially when it was so HOT in the summer.   I still find myself being shocked when I walk in the lounge and see a pool through the windows.  

The Lord took me on a journey through this process.  I have had thoughts of  “what will people think” and on and on ...  I spent a lot of time walking around this pool as it was nearing the end of the construction, thanking God for this and praying that HE would use it as HE sees fit.  Praying for people to come and not be caught up on why and how we were given this gift ... the bottom line the Lord allowed someone to have the means to bless us with a pool.  I have prayed that not only our family but people will come and be able to relax after a long day or week.  I have asked the Lord to create many opportunities for ministry and fellowship around the pool.  I have prayed that when people stay with us they will be able to find a nice quiet place to spend time with the Lord here.  My prayer is that people will see God's love and His grace as they enjoy this pool.  I know that it sounds strange to some for me to pray for that but Mark and I have desired for our home to be a refuge not only for our family but for others that enter, rather it be for a few hours or for a few days or even for a few months.  THAT IS OUR DESIRE!
 


Starting back in November we have had a few good laughs at our house regarding a “pool”.  One HOT afternoon in mid-November, Nathan and Brit were going to head to his house at the mission farm for a swim.  Mark popped off and told Nathan, “to bring me back a pool!”  Hours later, Nathan and Brit walk in and Nathan can’t keep a straight face as he hands Mark a “pool.”  

“I asked Nathan to bring his swimming pool to our house when he comes over tonight. Needless to say, he was thinking of me on this hot blistering day as he filled 2 liters of his pool and brought me a pool for my house. Now to start digging a hole and fill it in 2 liters at a time.”
Over the next several weeks, Mark would enjoy his "pool" and make sure Nathan knew how much he enjoyed his gift he gave him.  
 
“Decided to enjoy laying out by the pool Nathan brought to us. What a great day with the weather cooperating. Thanks Nathan... I think.”
“Decided to share a Coke at the pool. Thanks Nathan for the pool so we can share this coke.” 
“Alicia made some Christmas candy while hanging out by the "pool". Thanks Nathan"
Once we found out we were getting a pool, Nathan decided to start helping ...

“So I come home this evening and find Nathan has given me a finished in-ground pool. I think he is trying to discuss lebola talks with me. Gotta love the efforts of trying to be on good terms with me as he and Brit's relationship advances.”
Enjoying a relaxing and tranquil time with the "pool"(the one Nathan brought me) as we float about.
We would have NEVER thought in November that by April we would really have a pool!  Absolutely CRAZY! 

We are looking forward to this outreach season and hosting teams for meals at our house before and after their time in Mozambique.  We are praying for great fellowship and that people will be able to relax and enjoy the pool ... well since it is winter at least the hot tub.

No comments: