Saturday, December 31, 2011

December ... where did it go?

Happy New Year!  I can't believe December has come and gone already.  We are in Winter Park with family and we have already celebrated the South African New Years and now we are waiting to celebrate Texas and then Colorado New Years.  We praise the Lord for all He has done in our family during 2011 and we are looking forward to seeing what He has planned for us in 2012.

Here is a quick update since we left Naples a few weeks ago ...

After leaving Naples we were working our way back to Texas but my parents had planned a surprise trip to Disney World.  We spent a week at their time share and had a great time at Disney. 



After leaving Orlando, we started our 3 day travel back to Texas.  We spent one night in Panama City Beach.  The water there was beautiful.  So of course we spent some time on the beach.


The next night we stayed in Houston with my Great Aunt and Uncle and we got to eat dinner with several of my cousins.  We also got to meet 4 of my newest cousins that have been born in the last 3 years Witt, Adelaide, Graham and Gray. 





The next night we stayed in San Antonio and we were able to see my Great Aunt Lavon.  The next morning we were up and on the road again with a destination of Amarillo.  Of course we made a stop for lunch in San Angelo at Franco's.  We also stopped in Lubbock to see Mark's Nannie and her husband Papa John. 


We arrived in Amarillo with 3 days left until Christmas.  So that meant a lot of last minute running around and cooking.  We had Christmas Eve dinner at my sister's house which was great because not only was my family together including my moms youngest brothers family, my sister's husbands whole family was there, including his sister's in laws, and Mark's dad and Bonnie joined us as well.  What a great way to celebrate the birth of our Savior.  We attended the Christmas Eve Candlelight service with Mark's dad and Bonnie.





We woke up Christmas morning to get ready to go to church with my parents only to notice that we had a little bit of snow on the ground (the forecast was no snow and a high of 50F).  We were very excited to see snow on Christmas especially since the last 2 years we had Christmas in Africa and it is summer time then. By the time the day ended we had 5 inches of snow!







Tuesday we headed up to Winter Park to spend time with extended family.  Wednesday, Mark spent the first day in bed with a stomach bug.   Friday, my dad, Mark, Brit, Luke and my mom headed to the slopes.  (I was supposed to go and hang out with my mom and take pictures but I got the spend the day in bed with the stomach bug).  Luke signed up to take snowboarding lessons (something he has wanted to do for a long time).  He had a great day and was enjoying it.  On the last run with the group he was at the top not far from the lift when in his words ... "I went to turn and just lost power and when I fell I put my hand back. I did that like 20 times today so that must be why it finally broke."   (He broke his right wrist.)  He also told me that he got to come down the mountain on the back of ski patrol. We go get a cast on Monday.  He hardly complains about the pain.  He has told me twice that he wishes this was a bad dream and that he would wake up and it would fine.  He is really bummed that he can't ski the next two days with Mark, Brit and my dad and that he can't sled with his cousins. 











Next Sunday we will speak at my parent's church in Amarillo in the morning and then head to Lubbock that afternoon to speak at Mark's grandmother's church.  Please pray for us as we will share at 14 different places between now and the end of March.  We will also begin school again for this new semester.  The kids worked so hard before we left South Africa and they managed to get all of their assignments completed until January.  They have really enjoyed the long break in December and I must admit I have to.  Please pray for the kids as they have to start this new semester and do school "on the road" out of their normal routine.  I know that the Lord will give them the strength and endurance to accomplish what they need to.  Thank you all for your prayers, financial support and encouragement for our family.  We wish everyone a Happy New Year!

No comments: