Thursday, February 21, 2013

Week 3 in Mentz

This week we had to change the Bible study in Mentz to Thursday instead of Friday because we are in charge of Burger Bash at CBC on Friday.  Before we left our house today, Jankie and Meriam were telling me how much everyone enjoyed last weeks study, even their aunts neighbor, who is a sangoma.  We did not know last week that a sangoma came to the study.  

We headed out to Mentz today and first stopped at Meriam's house to get two of her children.  When I carried some water into Meriam's house, her granddaughter, Surprise came over to me.  I picked her up and she was talking to me but of course I needed a translator.  So I asked Meriam what she said.  She told me she said, "where is the wood?"  I thought this was funny, sometimes when we visit we bring wood to them.  She is so cute! 

on the way to Mentz
one of the main roads off the highway in Mentz
Meriam's road - had to use 4X4 in some spots of it!

 
Meriam and her daughter Mmaputhego
 We left Meriam's house and headed toward Jankie's to pick up his wife Gladys.  On the way, we stopped and a friend of theirs was selling walkie/talkies and he gave them some.  It smelled really good but not so sure how it tastes.  Meriam told me they are really good and that she would make us pap with chicken feet soon.  I will let you know what I think! 

Jankie enjoying some chicken feet
 Tonight, Mark reviewed from last week the Old Testament books.  They answered his questions about the different books.  Then he continued this week going through the New Testament and focusing on how to find a verse in the bible.  He showed them the Table of Contents and encouraged them to use it until they get familiar with their bibles.  He showed them on the white board how to read a scripture reference to know how to find it ... John 3:16 ... John is the book; 3 is the chapter and 16 is the verse.  When he finished with the today's lesson, Jereminah asked Mark if he would let her know what scriptures he is going to use next week so she can look them up beforehand. 

 About halfway through a car drove slowly by and then turned around and stopped his car and watched for a minute or so.  Then he drove to the front of our bakkie, turned off his car, got out and came to the gate.  He then lit his cigarette and walked in and around to the back of the group and sat down.  He didn't say much, had his shirt unbuttoned and just listened for about a minute.  Then he got up and left.  Not sure who he was. 

I got to hold Mmaputhego so Meriam could take notes! 

 


Mark is explaining that there is The Gospel of John AND there are 3 Letters from John
When Mark asked for someone to close in prayer, Meriam led the group in singing The Lord's Prayer.  Mark told them their homework for next week was to look in the Bible and find where the verses are for The Lord's Prayer.  Meriam looked at me and quietly asked me what page it was on ... I told her she had to look it up herself! She just laughed! 

When Bible study was finished, we were saying our good-byes and Meriam tells me that Julia, who is a sangoma, wants to move anywhere I move!  I hugged Julia and told her I wasn't moving anywhere right now and she just laughed. 

Mark summed up our time today like this ...  Introducing how the Bible is put together in different books, chapters, and verses was today's objective in our Bible study. To show how the contents helps them find the books with the Bible and then discover that there is a Gospel according to John and three letters written by John. We pray that God will now speak to their hearts and transform them into born again believers as they grow.
 
By the end of the study there were 15 adults and 6 children.  Some of the things they asked for us to pray for this week are ... 
peace
for the children to pass school
job opportunities 
for the sick

No comments: