Friday, July 31, 2009

Quick Update

We just finished our first outreach with the PaulAnn team and we were here for one day and in a few hours we are leaving to go back to Mozambique. Lots to update just not alot of time. Please pray for the PaulAnn team as they are flying home now. Pray for the next team as they are flying in. Because it is so late (2 am here)and we are leaving at 7 am I thought I would just post some of my journal from the last outreach. There is more but that will follow later.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009
It has been awhile since I have had time to write about what is going on. Friday Gena and Roelof came by and picked us up so Brit and I could help her finish shopping. We ran several errands and then went to unload things at her house. Saturday we finished all the errands and then made road food for the PaulAnn team.

The builders tore out the sink in the kitchen and put the new one in. I will say since they took out the sink we did not kill any roaches in the kitchen Friday evening or Saturday.

Saturday the PaulAnn team arrived in Joburg at 6:20. They were an 1 ½ late because they left the states late due to weather. Sean was stuck on the highway for 2 hours (not moving) due to a wreck and did not get to the airport until sometime after 8. The team arrived at Polokwane around 1:45 am on Sunday.
Sunday morning (July 19th) we got up early and by 6:30 we were at Sean and Gena’s loading our stuff in the Land Rover and loading all the road food for the day as well as all the last minute things. By 7:30 we were following Sean as he drove the bus to the Golden Pillow to get the team. We were all so excited to see the PaulAnn team. It was great to see our church family and get lots of hugs. I must admit I had a few tears. It was just so good to see them all. Jill and I sat at the back of the bus and talked to first 2 hours of the trip to get all caught up on all that has happened in both of our lives over the last 3 weeks. Noah and Luke had a great time hanging out.

Our travel to Mabuzane was ok. We had to wait a little longer at the Mozambique border than usual. We made it across the river with no problems at all. I was so proud of Mark, he did such a great job driving across the river. We were about 15 minutes or so away from arriving in Mabuzane and we got a flat tire on the bus. The guys were all busy doing separate parts to take care of getting a new tire on. Some were taking off the old tire, some were working on lowering the spare and a few others were up the road trying to remove the tree stump that caused the tire to get a hole. It is very expensive to replace a tire for the bus. We arrived in Mabuzane and the team immediately began unloading everything and setting up their beds in their tents. Several people helped Mark get our tent set up. Brit and I helped get dinner ready – chili dogs. We ate and cleaned up and everyone went to bed.

Monday we got up and the team had a devotion and orientation and Brit and I helped Gena and Sharyn get breakfast ready. Monday was spent sorting and organizing the kitchen tent and ministry supplies. The team sorted out who would teach, preach and give testimonies when. I also got our tent organized and set for us to live here for 9 days.

The team went out prayer walking in the village and Brit and Luke went with them. We had our first evening service and then everyone headed for bed.

Today was our first full day of ministry. Our team is doing ministry here in Mabuzane as well as going across a river to Charly. A typical day in camp is like this … We wake up at 7 am and then have coffee, tea and hot chocolate with rusks. After everyone is dressed the team sits in a circle and has devotion. Sometimes someone will lead the devotion and sometimes they set up the laptop and speakers and we listen to a message from John Piper and several other pastors. After devotion we eat breakfast and then the team members will either go on hut to hut evangelism or stay and teach the children at 10. Lunch is at 1 and then afternoon ministries began at 2. Here in Mabuzane we have women and men’s ministry and then someone will play with the kids. The rest of the team will drive to Charly and hold men’s, women’s and children’s ministry. At 5 they start the water for showers and we begin to make dinner. We eat around 6:30 and the service begins at 7. After the service people can have coffee or hot chocolate and they visit about the day or play a game and then get ready for bed.


Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It is the beginning of our 3rd day in camp in Mabuzane. It is 11:25 here. We have just finished up our morning duties which include… breakfast, clean up, cleaning the shower boards and toilets. I have just finished cleaning up our tent for the day and I am now sitting outside my tent listening to my Ipod and catching up on journaling and reading. Mark is with the leaders of the surrounding villages that are here for a 2 day training that is being led by Steve (from Florida). Brit went out with the team again on hut to hut evangelism and Luke and Noah are with the children’s ministry helping and playing with the kids. I am so proud at how the kids have helped around camp and how they are interacting with the kids from the village.

My prayers is that our family will grow stronger in our individual walk with the Lord and as a family. My desire for our family is to serve the Lord with all our heart, soul, mind and strength.

Today Jill checked on me to see how I am doing. I must admit I am trying to learn how to cook for so many people at once and it is overwhelming sometimes. I know the Lord will help me to do it but when I think about sometimes I get nervous about the next outreach in Matsilele where I will be the one in charge in the kitchen. Brit will be my right hand man and then Mark and William where be there to help me as well as a lady that is coming on the team that has offered to help as well. I just want to do it well. Lord help me to do all things well. Only with you will that happen.


More to follow ... just know that we are headed into Mozambique to set up camp for the next team. They will arrive in the village on Sunday night. Pray for safe travel, health and most of all for the people in Mateselle. Pray for hearts to be changed.

Love you all and thanks for your prayers and support!

2 comments:

Jackie Sue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
LaWanda said...

God lead me to your blog while I was looking for some kind of contact info (as I am in Texas and 1 of my daughters was on her way to S. Africa). As I was sitting here reading your Blog I realized you would also be in the same village as my Jessica. God had used you to fed my baby while she was away from me. I would like to thank you for being there to watch after my daughter when I could not. She said your family was awesome (and she loved your home). She was so tired when she did get home we have not been able to talk to much about her trip and how God worked through all of the mission team (just a few highlights and how much God has blessed her)but she has spoke very highly of you and your family. Even with so many miles between please know that God has touched my heart through your walk and the love that you have showed my daughter.You will be in my prayers. Again thank you so very much. May our Father bless you always,LaWanda White(Jessica Cafery's mother)