Thursday, September 11, 2008

Our Journey to Mozambique ... Part 4

If you want to read these entries in the correct order scroll down to Part 1 and work your way up. Also, we would love to know who is following our blog so we added a new feature to the left called "Followers." Click on it and let us know that you are following our journey. We have been back from Africa for one month and honestly this past week has been kind of tough. We know God has great plans for our family and the people in Africa. I am asking for you to pray for us as we continue to walk this road. Pray for protection from the enemy. He does not want us to do anything that will bring Glory to God and he will try anything he can to distract and discourage our family. Thank you for your prayers.

Friday, July 25th ...
Here is a fun story for those who know me and know that I don’t really like critters of ANY kind. Last night before I went to sleep I went to the restroom one last time before “lights out.” (A side note – when it is dark I usually go with Mark or Jill but this time I thought I would run quickly with my lantern.) Well, as I went inside the restroom (which consists of a long drop with a potty seat and a wall built out of wooden poles and a black plastic tarp), I stopped dead in my tracks as I noticed something black and about 6 inches long or so. We have seen several millipedes around camp and at first I thought that was what it was although it was thinner than the millipedes I had seen. I looked around for a stick or something and all I could find was a piece of dead grass. I took it and touched the critter so I could fling it out of the way and as I did it curled up in a spiral. I called out Luke 10:19, which says, “I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.” Then I took care of my business QUICKLY and RAN back to my tent to get in bed. I told Mark what happened and that I think I just flung a snake. When I told him the way it curled up he said, “Honey, sounds like it was a snake.” Needless to say the next time I went to the restroom and it was dark I did not go by myself!
Our restroom in the bush.

This morning Rulof (a Missionary with Samaria Mission) led our devotion today. He shared out of 2 Timothy 2:10, “Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect, that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory. He talked about enduring hardship – he asked us this question “Is it worth it to find the sheep and bring them to Christ?” We had a great discussion time and prayer time.

After breakfast this morning Mark and I along with Brad and Jill went with Derrik and Rulof to get water at the well. Today is wash day and it takes a lot of water. (2 ladies from the village came to wash some of our clothes.) They have built a rather large garden down by the wells that several people from the village work in.


This is one of 3 wells they have to pump by hand.


Logan and Derrik (one of our translators) are sitting by the new well waiting for our water drum to fill up. This pump was not here last year. It has made a huge difference in getting water for our camp. This well uses diesel and it pumps the water quickly. When we have to pump it by hand it takes hours to fill up the drum.


This is the new community garden by the wells.

When we got back to camp the rest of our team was out doing hut to hut evangelism. Jill and I sat down to rest and read a little bit. After a while a lady whose name is Gloria came by our camp. She attended our ladies Bible studies last year when we were in Dindiza. She said she had been away from the village and she was back and wanted to come say hi to us. She said she was very happy to see us.

Shortly after she left a nice heavy rain came through the village. We quickly closed up tents and moved things into the kitchen tent. We stayed in the kitchen tent and enjoyed coffee and hot chocolate until it stopped raining.

We had three groups still out and they took cover at a hut and some under a tree. One went to a hut where Moses lived. We met this man last year but he never accepted the Lord. At this hut Moses along with his family accepted the Lord!

We had over 103 kids during our afternoon Bible study. Sharie taught today about the creation of Adam and Eve. The kids colored animal masks for their craft.
They had fun coloring them and then wearing them.

Sharie is passing out things to the kids as she helps them with their craft. Look at the key around that child's neck. This was given to this child from the witch doctor as a way to "lock out" whatever is wrong. (cough, sickness etc.) FALSE TEACHING! We are there to teach them that Jesus is what brings them true and everlasting healing and protection!

They wanted to take a picture with their masks on. They love for you to take a picture on your digital camera and then show them what it looks like.

Isn't he cute!

No comments: